Author Topic: How to Remove Fuel Tank Lining?  (Read 5107 times)

Offline Evo160K

• Site Supporter
How to Remove Fuel Tank Lining?
« on: Tuesday, March 02, 2010. 07:40:11 AM. »
How do you remove the coating/lining in the fuel tanks without using a liquid that might spill on the paint.  I'm a mess with liquids.  I'm thinking some mechanical action inside, but don't want to make a spark and cause an explosion.  TIA

Offline jack5hd

Re: How to Remove Fuel Tank Lining?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 02, 2010. 02:20:39 PM. »
I HAD MINE BOILED AT A RADIATOR SHOP AND THEY RE-LINED IT......THEN HAD IT PAINTED

Offline fourthgear

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 02, 2010. 02:52:36 PM. »
How do you remove the coating/lining in the fuel tanks without using a liquid that might spill on the paint.   I'm a mess with liquids.  I'm thinking some mechanical action inside, but don't want to make a spark and cause an explosion.  TIA

I think boiling would hurt the paint ?
Some put nuts,ball bearings ,& other things inside and tumble the tank. I have seen some strange contraptions to do this. Some just wrap the tank in blankets & put it in the dryer. If you put any thing in there ,make sure you count them.

Offline 76shuvlinoff

• Industrial Prostitute
  • Administrator
  • 76 FLH -93" 12 FLHTCU, 103" Michigan
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 02, 2010. 04:17:14 PM. »
It goes without saying but I'm gonna say it......

If you roll it in the dryer make sure there are zero fuel fumes left and the heat is off.
Theryi're,
Take that ya grammar Nazis!

Offline seattledyna

• now in Placerville, CA. "gold country"
    • Mikes Hawg Paint
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 02, 2010. 04:41:22 PM. »
trust me, there is NO easy way, if you have an injected bike, you can pick and sand at the loose liner thru the pump access hole, carb bikes are like building a ship in a bottle trying to work the loose stuff out the filler bung

good luck :up:

Offline Evo160K

• Site Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 02, 2010. 07:10:55 PM. »
Thanks one and all.  Ran the dryer idea past my wife, things were quiet and peaceful at the time.  Well that was then, and this is now.    :gob:

Offline Lew

• Washed-up in Washington '83FLHS, '83XLS HTT#17
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 03, 2010. 10:49:41 AM. »
Rolling it around in the dryer won't get it out.  The only thing that will work is Methyl Ethyl Keytone.  Yes, MEK will dissolve the paint also.  Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 03, 2010. 03:47:47 PM. »
POR- 15

Offline bericuda

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 03, 2010. 04:27:51 PM. »
  rolling it in the dryer with bb's or shot in it will take out all the loose liner,rust,primer and what ever else.......to re-coat nicely...if, your so inclined to get it shiny it can do that too. just a matter of time....question is -how much can your tank take. and never put in anything much bigger than bb's or you will ding it.the metal just ain't that thick. it also helps to rotate between rounds.like mark says you need to cool tumble it. no heat settings or your in trouble because you need to shim it tight-therefore no airflow...cook your drier right quick.

Offline Evo160K

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 03, 2010. 06:52:09 PM. »
    it also helps to rotate between rounds.

Bericuda, would you explain that a bit further?  I think you mean change it's position in the dryer from time to time, but I want to be sure.  Thanks

Offline bericuda

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 03, 2010. 08:47:52 PM. »
thats exactly what i mean.....side to side end to end. 1/3 turns, 1/4 turns, you'll see.when going end to end pay attention because some of the thinnest parts of your tanks are the rear corners.really stretched thin in the stamping process doesn't take much to wear through there if rusty or pinhole leaks. even on relatively new tanks.

Offline Evo160K

• Site Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, March 03, 2010. 09:16:54 PM. »
Bericuda,
Thanks for the explanation.  What type of bb's did you use--copper, lead, other?  Were you concerned about a spark or fire?  About how long did you tumble the tank?

Offline bericuda

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010. 05:05:08 AM. »
  i thoroughly clean my tanks with waterhose and a metal hook made from a hanger before i put it in the dryer. if your liner is lifting this helps get the big chunks out. there are other ways to get rid of fuel vapors but, whatever i do i make sure i put alot of water through it prior to the dryer.you need it neutralized as possible.i just use regular daisy bb's since i have a .177 pellet gun to keep ferel cats from shittin in my yard.

Offline Dan89flstc

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010. 02:16:48 PM. »
Just buy some POR 15, follow the instructions. It is made to remove the old tank liner chemicals. Use some old nuts bolts screws in there to break the stuff loose. Pick the tank up by hand and shake and tumble it.

Putting a gas tank in a dryer in your home is nuts. Why not just put it in the dishwasher first to get all the gas out... :hyst:

If you put the gas tank in the dryer to tumble it and you are not sure you have cleaned all the vapors out, put the dryer in the back yard, and video tape the process... :pop:

Offline bericuda

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010. 03:49:06 PM. »
  done around 10 tanks for myself and friends....common sense goes a long ways.sounds like you have had experience with you tube.was it any good?
 by the way por 15 sucks.damon redcoat is the best.most the tanks that have liners that lift are factory, kreem, or por 15

Offline Evo160K

• Site Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010. 07:34:24 PM. »
If I read the Por 15 instructions correctly, it's a prep and coating.  Sounds like a good product.

I don't plan to coat again.  I've had so much trouble with peeling, I'm not going take a chance.  I had it plug a fuel line, run the engine lean and burn a piston.  I plan to leave it uncoated.  I'd rather deal with rust if it comes to it.    My garage is fairly warm, I'm hoping it's not going to rust, much of the coating has been gone for years, so far I've not seen any rust.  Thanks all for your thoughts.

Offline bericuda

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, March 04, 2010. 08:35:45 PM. »
  i live in the high desert.if, you for the most part keep your tank topped off-no probs....it's the high humidity areas that will get one.