Author Topic: MAGNETI-MARELLI EFI TO CARB  (Read 5479 times)

Offline chugalug

MAGNETI-MARELLI EFI TO CARB
« on: Thursday, February 11, 2010. 10:22:14 AM. »
I GOT A 96 FLHTCI THAT I BOUGHT TOTALED AND REBUILT, NOW I WANT TO SWITCH IT TO A CARB.NEED TO KNOW THE BEST WAY TO DO THE ELECTRICS AND IF A NOSE CONE IGNITION OR MODULE IS THE WAY TO GO. THANKS

Offline chugalug

mAGNETI-MARELLI EFI TO CARB
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 11, 2010. 10:33:18 AM. »
HEY I'M LOOKING FOR INFO ON CHANGING MY 96 FLHTCI TO A CARB AS FAR AS ELECTRICS GO. ALSO IF A NOSE CONE IGNITION OR MODULE IS THE WAY TO GO. THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Offline kickstart

Re: mAGNETI-MARELLI EFI TO CARB
« Reply #2 on: Friday, February 12, 2010. 04:49:40 AM. »
HEY I'M LOOKING FOR INFO ON CHANGING MY 96 FLHTCI TO A CARB AS FAR AS ELECTRICS GO. ALSO IF A NOSE CONE IGNITION OR MODULE IS THE WAY TO GO. THANKS FOR ANY HELP
go to the dealer and look at the parts book, yours came both ways so all the parts are there for a simple "by the book " changeover
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

Offline speed limit

« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 12, 2010. 05:00:53 AM. »
Do a search here its been covered many times
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

Offline chugalug

« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 12, 2010. 05:11:15 AM. »
Thanks for the reply I tried a search and didn't find anything on a 96 which was the first year and was different from a 97.

Online 86fxwg

• This is my world,ur just visiting!
« Reply #5 on: Friday, February 12, 2010. 06:59:01 PM. »
Pick a nose cone ignition of ur choice.(only for simplicity this way u only have four wires to deal with)  105000 miles on my crain nose cone ignition.
I perfer the mikuni carb.(buy there kit and get the manifold and air cleaner)
Pingle petcock kit.
Took me 6 hours start to finish.

Offline 1997bagger

« Reply #6 on: Friday, February 12, 2010. 08:05:20 PM. »
Many conversions going on right now, Ultima/Dyna 2000i ignition kit for $149-$159 seems to be popular for price reasons. Switched  positive power, ground, wires to the coil, the 2000i is supposed to have tach out wire to feed your tach - get a manual and study

Evo carb wire harness is discontinued, some have purchased a 1999-up harness and adapted wires to the ignition and removed the efi harness, some have made a harness.

I have attached a parts list from info I received from another persons conversion.    Pick and choose your method.

#21-294 Pingel Chrome forward pointing grooved fuel valve (#1311CG from Jirehcycles.com)
62052 Pingel tank adapters from Pingelonline.com
42-8 Mikuni Total Carb Kit from American Classic Motors on E-Bay Best price 382.00
53-660 Ultima Ignition from Jirehcycles.com (module, coil, rotor, wires) Made by Dyna but 1/2 price 149.95
26555-94 VOES switch from Harley
72102-94BK Voes connector housing
72142-94 secondary lock for connector
72190-94 pins for connector
11192 retainer for VOES
69126-92 horn and chock bracket
61326-95 Tank gasket
69123-92 Horn mount rubber Couldn't get old one off
382-406 8 pin gray socket plug from J&P Cycles
382-879 sockets for 8 pin connector from J&P Cycles
400006 Intake seals from J&P Cycles
2740670 8 place terminal strip from Radio Shack
1009004 Tach and cruise adapter From Dyna 800-928-3962 (just a pink wire but they sent it for free
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?

Offline 4DogsanaHog

« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 15, 2010. 08:51:19 AM. »
Just curious, why is it so necessary to change the ignition system (ignition module and coil) when converting from efi to carb?
You can't get rid of a bad temper by losing it!

Offline 1997bagger

Re: MAGNETI-MARELLI EFI TO CARB
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 15, 2010. 01:42:26 PM. »
4dog

You have a very good question, I guess you could keep the M&M electronics and use it as your ignition system, don't see any reason why it wouldn't work BUT you would have an annoying check engine light on at all times from the injector control system, intake air sensor wiring and tps.

No timing tunability without a controller system and relying on the factory ignition map, so an aftermarket electronic ignition would probably be cheaper if you have to buy a controller and removing control from the ecm is what the conversion is all about.

Offline prodrag1320

• Premium Vendor
  • AHDRA & AMRA national champion & record holder
    • vee twin racing
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010. 09:24:04 AM. »
did it on my `97 flh,installed dynaS dual fire ignition,removed ECM,everything(gauges ect) work fine.got tank bungs from drag specialties,only drawback is steel lines in tank,had to cut down reserve tube on petcock,so reserve is less fuel(1/4 tank,find a station!)
www.veetwinperformance.com
NITRO P/D HARLEY 7.14 @ 189/4.49 @ 167

Offline Nebraskarider1

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010. 03:30:51 PM. »
After you drill the lines out of the tank take a tiny cutoff wheel and cut the larger part of the tube above the threads off just above the threads fron the outside. I used a 3/8" metal cutoff wheel that looks like a tiny skilsaw blade. You have to be very careful and don't get in a hurry. I have full tank capacity now, I can go over 200 miles on a full tank. I left my tank sit for a few days with a fan on it with the canopy off it so as to make sure there were no gas fumes left in it before doing this. Don't need to blow yourself up. When I was done I had about 5/8" sticking up inside the tank. Fuel light comes on about 10 miles before I have to switch to reserve then I can go about 40 more miles if I don't ride too hard. I used the Pingel petcock, I tried an off  brand one and it was too big to go through the Pingel tank adapter. The parts list posted above is everything I used and am very pleased with the outcome, been almost 2 years now.

Offline 1997bagger

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010. 05:34:32 PM. »
Quote from: Nebraskarider1 The parts list posted above is everything I used and am very pleased with the outcome, been almost 2 years now.
[/quote

Nebraskarider, that is the same list you used ?     :wink:

I'm getting deep into my conversion, EFI harness on the ground, remaining wiring looks simple. Saving money to get that Ultima ignition kit. Talk to you later.

Online 86fxwg

• This is my world,ur just visiting!
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010. 08:00:11 PM. »
You dont need a harness.Remove the ecm harness in a bundle,The white already at the coil is your power wire to the ignition(it can stay there) your nose cone ignition has the wire for the vose switch.Thats all u need as far as electronics.

Offline Nebraskarider1

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010. 05:53:17 AM. »
Yes thats the list I put together.

Offline 4DogsanaHog

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, February 18, 2010. 04:10:37 PM. »
1997bagger, thanks for the explanation, makes sense. Will this list work on my 1998 FLHTCUI?
You can't get rid of a bad temper by losing it!

Offline Nebraskarider1

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010. 08:45:26 AM. »
I would think it would be the same for a 98 since most of the parts concerning the FI for a 97 and 98 are the same. The white/black trace wont be at the coil, the wires going to the coil will be gone when you take the EFI harness off. You will have to run 3 wires from your aftermarket ignition module to your coil (assuming you are running a single fire setup). You will also have to run 2 wires to the voes switch a ground from the main harness and one from the ignition module. The connector in that list is so you can hookup to the factory plug on the voes switch without cutting the wires and splicing, so if you ever have to replace the voes switch a new one will plug right into the connector. Pickup the ground (black) for the voes at the 8-pin connector coming from the main harness on the bike as well as the 12 volt positive going to the coil (white/black tracer). The 8-pin connector is under the right side cover where you will unplug the EFI harness from. The pink wire on the 8-pin connector is for the tach.