Author Topic: S&S Lifters  (Read 1570 times)

Offline vaughtcity

S&S Lifters
« on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009. 08:39:19 AM. »
Just thought I would ask how some of you adjust S&S lifters with Hl2t. I have Screamin Eagle push rods 24 TPI. I'm thinking 0 lash then 5 flats and yes I know this not how S&S recommends to do it.

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
Re: S&S Lifters
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009. 08:45:42 AM. »
No oil in them just as they come out of the box
At TDC Compression
Bottom them and stop, go one turn collapsed on the pushrod, lock the nut and call it good.

Offline vaughtcity

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009. 09:20:52 AM. »
No oil in them just as they come out of the box
At TDC Compression
Bottom them and stop, go one turn collapsed on the pushrod, lock the nut and call it good.

So if there is oil in them bottom them out then wait recheck to make sure there still bottomed out then just back off one turn for 24 TPI.

Offline hardyheadscom

« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009. 01:59:22 PM. »
I know this not how S&S recommends to do it.

doing it your way.......... could spell the wrong way.........stick to the book :rtfb:
hardy heads the best...boy I guess

Offline ORork

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009. 03:13:46 PM. »
Well? How does it run? I bet you got it going by now......
For the rest of ya's....our builds are twins, 'cept for the pipe.
I bet you got a big grin goin' on....
Frank
04FXD95HTCCCNC84cc03hgTW67g1.67rrMik45DTT3.37CSpipes many parts on the wall!

Offline LilEvilAmy

• Does this bike make my butt look fast?
    • www.BishopsPerformance.com - Detroit, MI
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009. 03:33:34 PM. »
From S&S's "Tech Tips"    http://www.sscycle.com/modules/techtips/index.php?z_catagory=LIKE&x_catagory=&psearch=hl2t&psearchtype=
(this is a little different than the instructions that come with the limiters)

How do I adjust my lifter with your HL2T kit installed?
A. Remove spark plugs.
B. Bring piston to TDC on compression stroke in cylinder to be adjusted. Normally both tappets will be at their lowest point of travel.
C. Extend pushrod adjustment, collapsing lifter until piston assembly is in contact with HL2T spacer and pushrod is tight. If tappets contain oil, as when pushrods are readjusted after engine has been run, or if all oil was not removed during installation, extend pushrod adjustment until valve is open (about five additional turns of adjusting screw). Allow five minutes for hydraulic unit to bleed down. If pushrod can be turned with fingers after bleeding down, lifter is not completely collapsed, and this step must be repeated. NOTE - perform this operation on one cylinder at a time. Do not turn engine until pushrod adjustment is complete. CAUTION - Turning engine while valve is held off the seat could result in valve-to-valve or valve-to-piston contact and serious valve train damage.
D. Loosen pushrod adjustment until pushrod can be rotated with the fingers with slight drag. NOTE - Some engine builders prefer to adjust pushrods another one-half turn looser. This provides additional travel for the valve in the hydraulic piston assembly. Additional travel can improve the ability of the hydraulic unit to pump up and maintain zero valve lash.
E. Tighten lock nut.

~ Li'l Amy & her "Evil Twin" Sportster ~ Detroit, MI ~ Cogito Ergo Zoom ~

Offline Jeffd

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009. 05:06:40 PM. »
I found it 100X's easier with the lifters dry.  I for the life of me could not get a good feel for bottoming them out until they were dry and then it was a breeze.