Author Topic: Screamin Eagle 110 Heads  (Read 4027 times)

Offline Mix01FLHT

• www.hogbidz.com
Screamin Eagle 110 Heads
« on: Friday, October 09, 2009. 06:53:30 PM. »
Are these heads any good?  Is there any interest from anybody in buying these?  What size engine would they be best suited for?  Can they be run stock with good results or do they need to be worked?  Whats the stock cc of these heads?  They do have the ACR's on them.  If I get them, I will probably end up putting them in the swapmeet section soon.

Mix
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
Re: Screamin Eagle 110 Heads
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 09, 2009. 08:32:54 PM. »
I have many sets
The market is loaded with them because they have "issues". Dealer recall, touring bikes, and they are swapped out on 07 and 08 bikes to be specific. They can be worked and then become a good performance head for a 110"+ motor.

Offline Mix01FLHT

• www.hogbidz.com
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009. 01:13:45 AM. »
What kind of issues did they have?  Just wondering how much $$ would have to spend on them to get them usable.

Mix
01FLHT/95/HTCCcnc/.03hg/S&S585/mik48/THeadhybred/SErollerrockers/chainfinaldrive

Offline hightop

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009. 06:57:03 AM. »
Guide to head casting fit can be loose, and guide to valve fit is usually loose.

Offline Mix01FLHT

• www.hogbidz.com
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009. 07:00:55 AM. »
does this always happen or is it only in some cases?  How can you tell if they are loose?

Mix

Offline KingofCubes

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009. 07:01:43 AM. »
The quench band has been removed also, best results come from welding the chambers and restoring this.

Offline hightop

« Reply #6 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009. 07:07:30 AM. »
does this always happen or is it only in some cases?  How can you tell if they are loose?

Mix

The guides aren't always loose in the heads, but usually the fit to stem is excessive, so you're gonna have to press the guide out anyway, that's when you'll see if the fit in the head is bad also.

Offline Ultraman

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009. 07:36:25 AM. »
Hey there, sorry to butt in but... when you say the market is flooded, what are a used set worth? Will they bolt on a 95" , allowing fitment, is putting them on said engine worth the cost ie: increased hp, tq plus or minus? I'm running a stock top. '02 Ultra stage II, 95" SE203 cams & Thundermax. Just caught my eye, heads are a place I haven't been to with this bike, I was under the impression that the benefits would be marginal and the price quite high! I have been wrong before so please feel free to enlighten me.
02 FLHTCUI 95"   Calgary Canada   Gigity Gigity Gooooo!

Offline HD Street Performance

• Premium Vendor
    • HD Street Performance
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009. 08:39:11 AM. »
First the issues
Hightop covered them well. Guides and seals. Not one or the other both.
I don't have any idea what they are worth, check ebay including history for that.
There are several reasons why I would not use them on a 95" motor. Putting all the technical and fit aspects aside lets just talk economy, return on investment.
If you can take a head you already own (standard OEM 88 / 96") head and do ~400 dollars worth of work to those and end up with a long lasting high torque combination why bother with those other heads. The SE CVO heads have BIG ports and it seems to be a SE trend these days. Yes they can have the chambers welded and all sorts of rework and how much does that cost, ~1000 bucks if it's a dollar and now you have reconfigured the SE head to what the 88 / 96" head started out as. I am a believer in matched combinations and giving the motor what it wants to get the job done. There aren't many that are chasing dyno numbers exclusively. For them the big airflow, big cams, big throttle bodies, and pipes is the cats meow. Problem is there are too many guys reading the internet looking for a fatter torque curve that get swooned into believing that items such as these heads and other high rpm move the torque curve right products are the ticket to get that roll-on / pass a truck use 6th gear effectively result.
If you take the flow chart of these heads when I am done with them and overlay it with a set of mildly reworked S&S 124" heads there is a close resemblance. The S&S heads will and did support 149/149 hp/tq on fuzzynuts EVO motor.
My point is these heads have their place, cost more than ~400 to rework properly, and will support much bigger than a 110" motor. As the bore grows the quench mentioned comes right into line, also improves dramatically with just a .030 cut on smaller motors.

I will end this with a quote from somebody I highly respect DOC, that is relevant and IMHO right on target.

"The relationship of a cam, intake, heads, and displacement to power band is simply where the power will start at, what rpm range will the power be at in other words. We aren't talking about how much power a build will have, we are talking about where the engine is going to be breathing the best. Cams dictate a power band because they allow the engine to breath better in a certain rpm zone, either a low end cam, mid range cam or a top end cam.
Displacement will always give yo more tq through the complete rpm range, like wise the heads with high velocity ports will be better for low to mid range than a set of heads with fist size ports.

The bottom line is you want to build a motor for tq in the rpm range you ride so selecting parts that all complement this rpm range is the key. You don't want to get a low end cam with fist size ports in the heads......knowing what works with what isn't something we can just teach you....you have to know how the engine works and how it breaths then you make years of mistakes until you fine the recipe that works. I don't know how else to put that any other way....it comes with experience and lots of research not to mention a lot of zeal to be the best at what you do. Once you find the package or packages you stick with them.
Doc"

Offline hardyheadscom

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009. 09:42:46 AM. »
i have a few sets on 120 ci`s with cam in. closings @60........reworked and corrected comp of 9.1-9.3 with a good set up  can have good  power down low...all the multi gear burn out`s and wheelies ya want and top end power that will make your butt pucker over 130 mph............yeh the heads can do o.k.
hardy heads the best...boy I guess