Author Topic: Hydrogen peroxide as a bug remover???  (Read 3828 times)

Online Nebraskarider1

• Site Supporter
Hydrogen peroxide as a bug remover???
« on: Saturday, August 08, 2009. 02:21:00 PM. »
Anyone ever used hydrogen peroxide as a bug remover? A guy showed me it up at Sturgis. It seems to loosen them up pretty good and is cheap. He was using it diluted 50% with water, spray it on let it soak a few minutes then wipe it off. I was just wondering if there were any drawbacks to using it. Thanks, Scott

Offline stroker800

Re: Hydrogen peroxide as a bug remover???
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, August 08, 2009. 03:26:55 PM. »
  Iuse a moistened "Bounce" dryer sheet to clean off road crap and bugs.
Dave

Offline tinkerman

• 88 FLSTC 74 Norton FastBack 71 Norton Chopped
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, August 08, 2009. 03:38:49 PM. »
All I have ever done with my bikes that have windshields is after cleaning use the same wax product for painted surfaces on the windshield.

Usually, the bugs just wash off with the first rinse and very little scrubbing is required and then just re wax while you are doing the rest of the bike.

tink

Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

Offline justplainjim

« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 08, 2009. 04:09:16 PM. »
I've been using hydrogen peroxide as a bug remover for years.  It's great.  I use it full strength, let it soak for a minute or two, and wipe the windshield with a damp micro fiber cloth. 

Offline superglidesport1

• Site Supporter
  • Been there, done that. Time to do it again!
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 08, 2009. 04:30:55 PM. »
Anyone ever used hydrogen peroxide as a bug remover? A guy showed me it up at Sturgis. It seems to loosen them up pretty good and is cheap. He was using it diluted 50% with water, spray it on let it soak a few minutes then wipe it off. I was just wondering if there were any drawbacks to using it. Thanks, Scott

Hydrogen peroxide is great for lots of things! First of all we know that it's a great cleanser for superficial skin abrasions and injuries. It can be used to dye hair to get that cheap, dirty blond look that we guys like. If you can get 100% hydrogen peroxide concentration and mix it with 100% oxygen you get rocket fuel! :gob:

Lastly, the same properties that help it to cleanse skin abrasions also help it to dissolve bug guts......................
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 09, 2009. 01:52:34 PM. by Superglidesport1 »
You're known by the promises you keep. Not the promises you make!

Offline PaJoe

• 1990 FLHTCU located near Harrisburg,Pa
« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 10, 2009. 02:10:34 AM. »
I use hydrogen peroxide for many things  but I never tried it on the bike to remove bugs. To me it seems the hydrogen peroxide would be a little harsh on the paint and wax. A good coat of wax will keep the bugs from sticking too much, just using quick detailer usually takes them off, many just run off with the excess detailer as I spray it on.

Offline 86SFWG

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009. 02:01:07 PM. »
Use Original Bike Spirits Spray Cleaner Polish for removing bugs and road grime. This is a great spray on and wipe off product, removes bugs quickly and leaves a great shine. Subsequent clean-ups are easier since there is a protective coating to help keep bugs from sticking as much. You can use it on all surfaces of the bike, windscreen, paint, chrome, etc.

originalbikespirits.com

Online guido4198

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009. 03:29:21 PM. »
It can be used to dye hair to get that cheap, dirty blond look that we guys like.

NOW you're talkin'...!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dresser

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 29, 2009. 06:45:49 PM. »
I use lemon Pledge spray furniture polish to get bugs off my windshield. Spray it on let it set for a couple off minutes wipe it off. Painted surface I'm not sure how it would work.

Offline Bruno-Katz Fokkerpilot

• Site Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2009. 03:25:59 AM. »
A few months ago when i was in N.C. i found the mosquitos had a preference for my fair English skin, i was smothered in itchy bites. I tried a local remedy which, was to apply Hydrogen Peroxide to the bites and, guess what? it stops them itching! H.P. was also one of the components the Germans used to power the Heinkel 163 rocket planes in WW2.  :wtf:
Peace...those brief moments in history when everyone stands around reloading....

Offline 96roadking

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, September 30, 2009. 04:27:48 PM. »
Has anyone tried using water? Warm, Hot, even Cold water will loosen bugs. I've been using this stuff for years, even gets um out of your teeth. :hyst: Seriously

Offline sandrooney

« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 02, 2009. 02:04:52 AM. »
Water works great, thats all I ever use even to wash my bike.
Patience is such a waste of time .

Offline hollywood63

« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 02, 2009. 04:38:34 AM. »
Has anyone tried using water? Warm, Hot, even Cold water will loosen bugs. I've been using this stuff for years, even gets um out of your teeth. :hyst: Seriously

:hyst: :hyst:

Offline Evo160K

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, October 03, 2009. 06:55:19 PM. »
This works for me everytime and is simple:

When I pull in to gas up, first thing I do is soak enough of the paper towels in the windshield wash water to cover the windshield.  Then I tank up, go inside to the john and whatever.  By the time I'm ready to leave, the bugs are soft and wipe off easily with the same towels.  You can wipe the windshield and fender with dry towels if you're particular (I'm not), then take off.  Simple.

Online mkd

• Site Supporter
  • tail of the dragon 2011
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, October 04, 2009. 03:17:23 AM. »
i've been using a product called bugslide for the last three years.i use  the 16oz. spray bottle that  comes with a bright lime green microtowel.spray it on and scrub the bugs off! use it on windshield,fairing,tanks,chrome,everything but tires. when it get's dirty just use a bar of soap and scrub your hands with the towel ,rinse it out,cleans up good as new.www.bugslide.com
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 04, 2009. 03:20:36 AM. by mkd »

Offline L-

« Reply #15 on: Monday, October 05, 2009. 02:24:11 AM. »
H2O2...remember from chemistry class?   It breaks down things with protein in them so it works on bugs.......

L-

Offline hotroadking

« Reply #16 on: Monday, October 05, 2009. 12:20:40 PM. »
you guys take the bugs off????

Offline crazylore

• Vaginaterian
« Reply #17 on: Friday, October 09, 2009. 01:04:58 PM. »
I use the old lady
96FLSTF       04FLSTFI 95"

Offline Phu Cat

• Site Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, October 13, 2009. 03:56:00 AM. »
Just a word of caution about hydrogen peroxide.  Should anybody get unfortunate enough to locate something other than the watered down stuff we buy at the drug store (about 3% solution) a 50% hydrogen peroxide solution will burn the snot out out you.  Imagine what 100% will do.  Wear gloves that can with stand peroxide.  Not all plastic/rubber gloves can.

PC