Author Topic: Speedo codes d01clr, d02set etc.  (Read 2518 times)

Offline Lukasz

Speedo codes d01clr, d02set etc.
« on: Friday, May 15, 2009. 01:10:29 PM. »
Friend of mine owns 2001 Road King and some time ago he noticed that red ENGINE is lit for few seconds after engine has started.
Pushing speedo reset button and switching on ignition in the same time we got access to diagnostic mode. We got following:
d01clr
d02set
d03clr
d04clr
d05clr
d06clr
d07clr
d08set
d09clr
d010set

What do all these codes mean? Only I know that this is not exactly diagnostic codes. Diagnostic codes can be retrieve by counting flashings.
In my 2003 Heritage I have all positions clr. Any helpfull ideas?

Thanks in advance

Lukasz (Poland)
Lukas

Ride now, Work later!

Offline 00FHHRCI

• Owensboro, KY
Re: Speedo codes d01clr, d02set etc.
« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 15, 2009. 08:56:37 PM. »
Greetings,

The codes you are reading in the odometer spot on the speedometer are for the electronic speedometer diagnostics.  Is your friend having problems with his speedometer?  I would clear the codes, ride the bike and see if they come back.  I believe you can do this by holding the button in for more than 5 seconds on the displayed set code and this will clear the code.

d02, speed sensor power output shorted high or open, red wire
d08, speedometer power overvoltage, orange/white wire
d10, speed output shorted low or open, white/green wire

James

Offline Lukasz

« Reply #2 on: Friday, May 15, 2009. 11:23:55 PM. »
Thanks James :smile:
Now I know something more. Looks like his speedo works normally, but I will check at least cable connections you gave me. Then we will try to retrive diagnostic codes with below instruction I found on other forum. Hope it works on 2001 Road King:

1. Remove right side saddlebag and side cover if so equipped. Remove protective plug from data link connector.

2. To activate the diagnostic feature, proceed as follows:
a. Create diagnostic test wire or use a female spade clip.
b. Install diagnostic test wire across Terminals 1 and 2 on the data link connector.
c. Turn Ignition/Light Key Switch to IGNITION and wait approximately 10 seconds (4 seconds lamp ON, 6 seconds lamp OFF) for check engine lamp to start flashing.

3. All trouble codes are sent out as a series of flashes. To retrieve the first digit of the trouble code simply observe the number of times the lamp flashes.
a. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the first digit of the trouble code.

b. The length of time the lamp is illuminated and the length of time in which it is off are each about 0.5 second in duration.

4. The second digit follows:
a. Following the transmission of the first digit, there is a 1.2 second pause in which the lamp is off.
b. The lamp will then flash one or more times to indicate the second digit of the trouble code. Count the number of times the lamp flashes to retrieve the second digit.

5. If more than one trouble code is sent:
a. Following transmission of the second digit of the first code, there is a 3 second pause in which the lamp is off.
b. Once all codes have been sent, the data string is repeated. When you have recorded the same trouble code twice, it is an indication that the transmission has been restarted and that all trouble codes have been retrieved.

Once again thanks. Ride safe!
Lukas

Ride now, Work later!

Offline 00FHHRCI

• Owensboro, KY
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, May 16, 2009. 04:03:34 AM. »
Greetings,

I have never used the jumper wire on my bike to retrieve codes.  I access the codes on my 2000 Road King by:  Have both the ignition switch and the kill switch off.  Turn on the ignition switch.  Now turn on the kill switch on the handlebar.  Wait about five seconds or so until the red engine light goes out.  Cycle the kill switch quickly.  Wait again until the red engine light goes out.  Cycle the kill switch again and wait.  This should put the bike into the diagnostic mode.   You should see the red engine light start to flash.  This should give you the codes by counting the flashes.  When done, turn off the bike and wait about 15 seconds for the bike to get out of the diagnostic mode before trying to start. 

James